Thursday, October 1, 2009

New fall comedy review

I love television.
It's genetic. I get it from my mother.

I look forward to watching 'my stories' in the fall when they return, and enjoy watching new ones.
I also hate it. My dual DVR is already clogged with all the old stuff that I have to record, it's hard to decide what new shows might be worthy of a slot on the hard drive.
Until I discovered hulu.

The internetses is a great invention. Then paired with television....
It's like a slippery-slide of Cheez Whiz with Oreos and Funyuns at the bottom.
In other words, incredible.

Here are a few new shows that are definitely worth checking out.

Glee
I do not sing. Choir horrified me. I'm terrible. The end.
My ears have become immune to the sounds my vocal cords can make, but I'd never wish that on anyone else. I sing in the shower, in the car, and in my office- but only if I'm alone in all of those places.
The only exception to this is Journey. I am utterly helpless when a Journey song comes on.
I can't NOT sing Journey.
Sadly, this takeover sometimes has a dancing side effect.
The only thing I'm worse at than singing, is dancing.
I use the term 'dancing' loosely, it's more like an epileptic giraffe that's just learning to walk. Oh, and my tongue is always sticking out the side of my mouth South Park Cartman style. This movement horrifies Manuel.
He tells me, "babe, you really shouldn't dance...."
Of course, he's totally right, but damnit, sometimes I just can't help myself.

As I watched the first episode of Glee, I found myself singing and dancing to their rendition of "Don't stop believing" by Journey.
Thankfully I was alone.

I didn't think this show was something I could relate to, but I find it strangely amusing and it's pretty funny too.

As long as I continue to watch it alone, I think everyone is safe.

Cougartown
As I watched the series premier last week with Erica, we both ended up staring at each other in amazement. Someone had seen our lives 20 years in the future and made a television series out of it.
Courtney Cox is hilarious and she's perfect for this role.
The interaction between characters is dysfunctional and well scripted- and oddly familiar- Right down to the ex-husband that hangs around, neighbor best friends, "wine and scrabble" night and a sarcasm overload.

Community
This is a pretty funny show with twisted honest humor that is near and dear to my heart.
It includes great characters- Joel McHale from The Soup, Jon Oliver from The Daily Show, Ken Jeong and Chevy Chase.

The best thing I've learned from this one is the term "douche-ray vision".

Modern Family
This show is great. It follows three families that are related to each other, each very different.
The dad that's married to the Colombian MILF with a pain-in-the-ass step son, the daughter whose family takes a hilarious approach to parenting, and the son and his partner who just adopted a child from asia.
The dynamics are hilarious. It's filmed Office-style showing interviews of the characters throughout the episode.


So glad Al Gore invented the www so I can watch these new beauties without conflict in the DVR (or 3 VCRs like my mom. Love you mom!)

4 comments:

Hillary said...

LOVE Glee. Entertainment w/some good music. You sing your heart out crazy pumpkin girl! Sing!

* said...

YOU LEFT THAT AT THE BAAAAR, BITCH! lol.

Anonymous said...

dear erin....your mom has now evolved from VCR's to DVR...whoda thunk?

Valerie L. Bond said...

I love all these shows. Community reminds me so much of the junior college I went to!