Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hello flu shot!

Co-worker Lynne's daughter Ginger came in to visit today, she's a nurse at McKay-Dee in Ogden.
The purpose of her visit was to thoroughly scare the shit out of us in regards to the upcoming flu season.
"I want you to get a flu shot, because I love you, and I don't want you to die", She tells us.

I've never had a flu shot.
My mom had one last year and was so sick that she was hallucinating... not something I really wanted to sign up for.

So I took a poll.
I called my mom, she said that she probably wouldn't get another one, but that my dad has had them every year and has been fine.
Two other ladies in the office claim to have had them every year with no adverse reaction.
Erica said that she had one once and was sick all year long.

Shit.

I went out front to discuss the findings of my survey with Ginger, at which point she told me she'd buy me an ice cream cone if I went.

Done deal.

When we got to the health department, Lynne went first. She is the bravest.
Sean was waiting in line when I finished my paperwork, but still made me go before him. He is the pussiest.

He told me that he was going to watch my eyes for signs of fear and pain, but he actually just sat there covering them.

When I was done, I asked Sean if he was aware that they give dosages by weight, and since he was so much bigger than me, he'd probably have to have two shots.

He was too busy yelling at me for making "fat jokes" that he didn't even feel his shot.

It's all about distraction. Apparently this tactic works on 5-year-olds AND 30-year-olds.

To reward Sean for his success, the nurse applied him with a Hello Kitty band-aid.


3 comments:

LifeAsABox said...

I've never had a flu shot before either--not that I can remember anyway. But I'm thinking I would like to get the H1N1 vaccine this year.

Hillary said...

Wow! I wonder whatelse we can get you to do for an ice cream cone... Watch you become one of the ones that are sick off their asses though. ;)

erin said...

Greg.
So far so good, I haven't gotten sick yet so we'll see about the H1N1.

Hillary.
I haven't really thought of anything I WOULDN'T DO for an ice cream cone....