Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One crafty bitch.

PART ONE:  Sweater vest



This is what happens when no one is around to take a picture of me in my sweater vest. I take like, four thousand pictures of myself hoping to get one that's moderately acceptable..... 

And when I don't... I just start being a jackass.




Sorry you can't really see anywhere except the boob region of the sweater. Contrary to Manuel's claims that I have Orangutan arms.... they aren't long enough to get a full-sweater shot.

This piece was a little bit of a challenge since the original pattern had the neckline finishing quite a bit higher and going right into the cowl. Well, as you may have read here,  I wasn't really a fan of that. It needed to be changed.

I think it turned out pretty good, considering I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Altering patterns is kinda scary, like the whole think might spontaneously combust or something.   It must have been pretty obvious that I was nervous about it since I got teased at knitting group for just sitting and staring at it :)

I'll get started on the cowl next, and hopefully get a chance to wear it once before it gets too warm. Knitting season is almost over!
Maybe I'll even have someone else take a picture of it when I'm done :)


PART TWO:  Aprons



My parents are ridiculously hard to shop for.  They pretty much just buy whatever they want. And they don't want very much.

For as long as I can remember, anytime you ask my mother what she wants for her birthday or Christmas, she replies with, "World peace".
Wow. Thanks mom. That's great. Way to make a kid feel like a total failure when they can't come through with mom's only wish....

While cleaning the craft room (aka  imaginative ground zero) last week, I came across some fabric that my mom had bought years ago for me to make her aprons with.   I think I'd made her one.  I thought that'd be pretty perfect, so I started cutting one out... and then realized that I'd cut it with the fabric pattern upside down.  Super great start, ern. Super great. 
With my sewing skills a little rusty, it took me longer than expected, but they turned out great and I think she was pleased with them.  Until she asked where the bunny fabric one was......  *sigh*



PART THREE:  Pending Projects


On my trip to Wal-Mart to replace the "bunny" fabric I ruined with something else, I found some fabric that was PERFECT for drapes in my living room. I've always wanted long whiteish drapes on my bay windows and found this fabric for $2 a yard!  I hate Wal-Mart.    They make it too damn cheap NOT to shop there :( Stupid corporate whores.
When I can afford metal thingamagigs I want to hang them from, I'll get started on them. 

On the SAME trip to the "Evil Empire" as my boss lovingly refers to Wal-Mart, this pattern caught my eye. 

Me and B-Dawg had already planned on taking a bag sewing class, but it's not till the end of April, and these patterns reminded me of  Fresh Tomatoes bags, which are AMAZING.  Jess is so talented and finds the greatest fabrics and maybe I just want to be like her!!!  Oh, that and I have a serious bag addiction that I should probably find a sponsor to help me with.

Part of me thought that it would be so fun to make these, and after I got home and opened the pattern and started reading through it, I decided I was out of my mind.  I should probably just wait till the class since I'm retarded and need to be shown how to do things instead of told. 

Oh, I also revised my will this weekend.  Greg will now be receiving all of my worldly possessions when I die because he's the only person that religiously comments on my posts (read: the only person that really loves me. :)

4 comments:

Dave said...

You can't claim to look like a jackass when you're actually smiling. Unless it involves alcohol and fire, of course.

Rebecca said...

Ok, that pattern, um, Amazing! We need to make those, for sure. We can figure it out! Together, we've got to be smart enough, right??

erin said...

I know, right?! They're damn cute!
Let's combine forces and try our hardest to equal the talent of one typical housewife :)

grburbank said...

Wow, this is so much better than a cookie! Glad to see you're no longer privatized--now I don't have to be logged in just to see if you even have a new post. Your craftiness makes me super jealous. But sometimes I get to enjoy it--like your knitted pumpkins which are totally still up in my living room. You know I love ya, coz.