Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Home is where you go to curl into the fetal position and sob like a toddler.

Yesterday was pretty much the worst day EVER.  I've had a pretty good track record at not being a complete fuckup at my job, until yesterday.

We always joke around here that you shouldn't ever let anyone know that you're competent, because people will just keep stacking jobs on you if they know you can handle it. 

Well, yesterday I proved my incompetency. Hardcore.
It seems like sometimes you get so lackadaisical in your job that it's mostly effortless. You do the same things every week, and everything is fine.
Then, the universe comes down with a cosmic bitch slap and regulates you back to reality. Reminds you to pay attention, work a little harder.

I screwed up. Big time.
I asked my boss if he wanted me to throw my plant in the garbage, he said, 
"Why, was that the problem?"
"No Casey, that means that you're fired."
"Nah, shit happens."

Words of wisdom, right there.

"Do you want to slug me in the arm one time?"
"No, I think I'm good."
"Really? Cuz I'd totally let you right now...."
".....I'm good..."


That was the extent of the tongue lashing I'd been expecting, but I still don't feel any better about costing the company MILLIONS of dollars.
Ok, thousands. But thousands sounds like a lot less after I said millions, right?

Anyway, after a day-long pity party, I went home and decided I'd had enough depression, and I was going to take down all my snow related decorations. It's funny how excited I get to put up things, then by the time that season has passed, I'm really tired of them and I'm ready to move on.
So last night was the beginning of spring at the Young-Maes household.

As I wandered around thinking where to put things, I noticed that after all the time I'd tried to make my house feel like me, I think I've finally succeeded.
It's weird, and has weird stuff in it. It feels uber comfortable. I'm surrounded by things that make me happy.
Thinking these things made my totally terrible day a little better, so I thought I'd share some of them with you guys :)


I love my bookcases.  I had a sled up there with some rusty snowflakes and Christmas lights and took them down and constructed this.  The two photos on the right are mine, and the one on the left is an Ansel Adams, donated to the cause by dear Benny.  I left the Christmas lights up there and hid them all behind the photos for kindof an ambient lighting effect. Pretty cool.


 

Manny bought me this chandelier for Christmas and I absolutely love it.  When I first moved into my house, I thought that space would be perfect for one, and I was right. It finishes off the funk delightfully.  :)




This whole part of my living room.  Just looking at it makes me happy.



 

Gas/oil can collection.  One of the super odd things I like to collect.  
Don't even ask me why.






My Christmas cactus that's about to bloom... until my cats notice and decide to eat all the blooms off.   Oh, also LOVE the pots that my sister made for my birthday one year. And she says she's not crafty.....   They're more special than anything she could have bought :)




GIANT fake daisies. Usually I'm a proponent for the death penalty on all things fake-floral related, but for some reason I really get off on fake gerberas. 
They look like summer and make me smile :)


Hope you all had a better day than I had, here's to hopefully another 10 years, fuckup free!      xoxo







3 comments:

LifeAsABox said...

Well, we all fuck up sometimes. Sort of reminds me of Elizabethtown, but there he did actually cost the company millions if not hundreds of millions. maybe more. I don't know, I haven't seen it for a long time. Anyway, thousands isn't too bad though it still sucks. It's probably not even the money, just the feeling of guilt and idiocy. Anyway, you didn't get fired, so we pick ourselves up and learn and work harder.

Moving on, I LOVE your living room! And I also love that you collect oil cans--so eccentric. One day I want to own an Erin Young original. At least right now they have to cost less than a Ned Young original.

To another ten years! May we fuck but not get fucked over (too hard anyway).

Hillary said...

Sorry you such a crapzilla day. Maybe if you weren't such a fuckup... Your boss didn't get mad at you because other than that 1 single day you are 100%. The room looks simply mahvelous daling...mahvelous

gq409dr said...

I'm glad you found a great place for the Ansel Adams. Your place always feels like home to me!