Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bedroom Makeover!

I didn't by any means HATE my bedroom, but it was time for a change. I've lived in my  house for 5 years and have almost completed everything I've wanted to, so it only makes sense to start over, right?
When we bought the house, every single wall in it was white. WHITE!
It was incredibly appealing, even though I hate white walls. Make sense?
I loved the white walls because they were a blank canvas. There wasn't any horrid wallpaper to remove, or icky colors to cover. Just blankness.
Five years later, I've painted nearly everything. The first thing that was painted was the master bedroom. This was because we were getting carpet the day after we "moved in" and I wanted to paint first because I knew that after we got the bed moved in, there would be no getting it out.
I went with beige.
Beige is almost as sad as white.

Looking back, I wish I'd put more thought into it. I was just in SUCH a hurry to get it done, and get some color on the wall that wasn't white. The upside to beige, is being able to throw basically any comforter I find on it without it clashing.
Am I rambling? I'm rambling.

Back to never moving that bed.  My room is weird shaped, and the place where the bed goes is not exactly built for a King size bed. It's pretty snug.
My ex's father welded us a pretty neat headboard before we moved to that house, and after we got divorced, the headboard was really the only thing left of the ex.
This didn't bother me that much, mostly because the thought of getting it out of there made me nauseous.

Before

We were using old crates as night stands
A couple years ago, I was walking in the alley behind work, and saw this giant piece of wood sticking out of our dumpster. They'd been remodeling the building behind us and that's probably where it came from. I one look in the dumpster and ran in the building for reinforcements.  Lori helped me dumpster dive and put it in my truck. The thought of using it as a headboard one day intrigued me, but it got shoved in the garage and not really thought about until a few weeks ago.

My mom was at a yard sale and found some end dressers she thought would fit next to my bed. I've always been on the lookout for something that would fit there because it is so tight. They ended up being the perfect size so I bought them.  This started a chain reaction that led to me wanting to finally use that nasty old piece of wood :)


After :)






ELEVEN COATS of primer & white paint went on 
the beat up end dressers. 
I also replaced the tops with bead board.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out, it honestly makes the room look so much bigger! Maybe one day Handy Manny will even forgive me for making him figure out how to hang that big bastard on the wall.

Headboard- FREE
End Dressers- $5
Paint & Primer- $19
Beadboard- $10
Screws & Wood- $5.50
TOTAL COST- $39.50

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh. My. GOD! It's glorious!! I just... it's... I'm speechless. It's perfect!

Lachelle said...

I love the way it turned out especially the headboard. Yah for dumpster diving I would have so got it.

grburbank said...

You're so crafty--I'm jealous.

Hillary said...

Way to freaking go! Definetly worth a dive in the dumpster. Good find.