Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I now know why Bret Michaels looks the way he does. Partying like a rock star is hard.

As I sat in a weird Chinese/Thai Restaurant in Salt Lake City, I quietly thought about what I'd done in the days prior.  I was quickly saddened by the thought that already the things that had happened were just memories.  I was no longer in the land of sunshine, strippers and liquor samples.  I had arrived home to Utah.

Wednesday.

I got to my brother's house to find that he'd pretty much forgotten about taking me to the airport.  We called, he didn't answer.  Great.   As if I don't already get freaked out enough about traveling, my own brother was unknowingly adding to the panic inside.  As Guy was getting ready to take me himself, James showed up. At least he admits he forgot about me.

My flight ended up being almost an hour and a half late, and while sitting on the tarmac, they announce that they'll be a few minutes longer since they need to de-ice the plane.  I don't really know WHY that scares the hell out of me... maybe just the thought that ICE can bring down this big giant mother bird.
Needless to say, my trip wasn't off to a great start for someone that has severe travel OCD.
Thankfully, I didn't have to sit next to anyone that was obnoxious, smelly or huge. That probably would have sent me over the edge.

I arrived in Las Vegas at almost 11pm Utah time. I was tired, but relieved.  It's always such a great sight to see Jeni waiting at baggage claim. Love that girl.

On our way out of the airport, she asks what I'd like to do.
Half of me wants to just go to sleep, the other half, realizing that it is in Vegas, wants to party.
She throws a few ideas out and mentions a cowboy bar that has Wednesday Ladies Night.     The mention of "cowboy bar"  is not very appealing at this point, but when she throws out the "dollar drinks" part.... that's when the wheels start turning.

We end up at Revolver which despite being cowboyed out, is actually a pretty badass bar.  Complete with armadillo disco ball.  Oh, and mechanical bull....
"Dollar drinks" actually end up being "Free Drinks"  and that contributed to the fact that I ended up on top of said mechanical bull.


After my (barely) 8 second ride, we had 3am burgers and hit the sack.

Thursday.

We woke up and headed to In-N-Out burger, and then to the Premium Outlets.
I heart that place.  Mostly because of the Hurley outlet.  I bought 2 hoodies, 3 tanktops and 3 nice shirts for Manny and only spent a Benjamin.  Pretty damn good, I'd say.   And brilliant of me to foresee this happening and pack a duffel bag.

After shopping, we went back to Jeni's to get all dolled up for our night out.


We ate at the Rio Buffet which is AMAZING.  I love buffets even more than I love Hurley. And I love Hurley a way lot. We ate as much as we possibly could while still fitting in our party dresses, and headed upstairs for the Chippendales show.


After the show, we got our posters autographed by a couple of the guys who were actually super nice, given that they know perfectly well they could be attacked at any moment by a hoard of lusty rabid women.




After the show we got in the elevator and headed to the 51st floor of the Rio to VooDoo.   Here was introduced to the Witch Doctor.



The Witch Doctor is a lovely concoction of god-knows-what.  We tried to pay attention to what all went in this delightful beverage, but lost track when the bartender was free-pouring four bottles at the same time.  There's something Utahns NEVER SEE. Free-pouring.   My love affair with Nevada grows stronger.

The view on the deck at VooDoo is AMAZING.


We drank, danced and enjoyed the view for hours, until I was pretty sure my legs were going to fall off.  I could have gone home with a guy that claimed he's been  mistaken for Usher.  I called bullshit, but he bought me a beer anyway.



Friday.

We visited my other favorite shopping center, Town Square.
Home of the Yard House, Yogurtland & H&M.
I had a seared ahi sandwich at the Yard House with a draft Sapporo.  It's pretty hard to choose what to have when there are 140 draft options.  Another thing Utahns never get to witness. 

That night we went to the Spazmatics show. They're a really great 80's coverband that dress like nerds.  Very entertaining.  And cheap.  I was a pretty big fan of paying $2 for Bud Light instead of $8 for Heineken like the night before.
Post show consisted of 1am sweet potato fries.


Saturday.

We went to the Santa Fe Station for their lunch buffet.  Mmmm more buffet food :)   After lunch we went downtown to look at the new City Center  project.
(Ok, seriously click on that link because that website is super cool)

It has a huge shopping center full of stores I'd never be able to afford shopping in, and several new ritzy hotels.



After spending time downtown we stopped at a discount liquor store where they were actually serving samples.  SAMPLES!  Nevada was making it pretty hard for me to leave her at this point.   I sampled Chambord, which I'll be honest, I probably never would have tried if not for this sample.  It was good!

Stupid Nevada with your loose women, slots and liquor laws.

I purchased an amazing bottle of daquiri mix to take home, and Jeni said "Don't you have that in Utah?"   Well yeah we have daquiri mix, but not like this!  It was more of a puree made of strawberries and awesomeness.  
I made sure to wrap it good in plastic bags for its journey home so if it spilled it wouldn't get all over everything, and when I got home, it had been taken out of all it's wrappers and shoved in my suitcase on top of everything. Luckily it didn't spill, but I was still a little bent at the TSA folks for not putting it back properly.  

Now I realize that it probably looked a little like a pipe bomb, so I guess I can't be too mad at them for going through my stuff.  It makes up for me sneaking through security in Salt Lake with my shoes still on.  I got patted down for having a hoodie on, but no one mentioned my shoes.  Hmm.

Saturday night we had all you can eat sushi.  And boy did we.  I thought I was going to die from mercury poisoning I ate so much raw fish.  




We had big plans to watch movies and drink what we'd purchased that day, but after getting home from sushi, I passed out.   I curled up on my air mattress in front of the TV and was gone.  Fetal position and all.  I woke up at 11pm and apologized to Jeni for being such a lame-o.  I was totally rock-starred out.  My inner Utahn was creeping back in telling me that it was time to head back to Zion and continue on my journey of uneventfullness.


Sunday.

And there I was.  Sitting with James and Patrick at East Sea thinking about the madness that was my vacation.   That's the awful thing about them.  They're amazing, and they make you want more, but sooner or later you get back to real life and start to forget they ever happened.


Congratulations if you actually made it to the end of this intensely long blog. You're probably as tired from reading it as I was from living it :)



3 comments:

Rebecca said...

That sounds like way too much fun to pack into three days! Maybe one day I'll venture down to Vegas, though mostly to shop at H&M!

grburbank said...

Yay for vacations! You should think about flying first class--that way you can chase your Xanax with the complimentary wine, plus more elbow room away from the obnoxious, smelly, and huge people.

I can't believe you rode a mechanical bull. You are a rock star!

I want a witch doctor. I'm also loving their loose liquor laws--WA's better than UT, but not by much. But if you're ever feeling down, check out The Bayou in SLC--you never knew there was so much beer in Zion.

Oh, and incredible view!

erin said...

Oh yes, Greg, love me some Bayou! Beer & Sweet Potato Fries... om nom nom....

We actually just got a new BBQ place in Logan that has 250 different beers (bottled of course). A giant leap in the right direction :)