Monday, September 28, 2009

Gay Saturday

One of my best friends killed himself six years ago.
I feel like a liberal gay kid trying to gain acceptance in a conservative straight life just became too much.
I ask myself all the time why it is that people aren't accepting of each other.
Why is it so damn hard?
Why is it easier for people to hurt others than to accept them?
Especially people with lifestyles that aren't replicas of their own.

To this day it's still hard for me to try and picture myself in his place before he took his life. How it was that he could have felt so alone and alienated.

I remember back to Jr. High when he told me that I wouldn't get so many zits if I didn't eat so many french fries, advice I still have not heeded. The summer before we could drive when we spent hours on the phone and drove our parents crazy. High School when we went to dances together and wrote notes which I still read. Trick-or-treating at his parent's house because they gave out twinkies. They still do, and I still go.

Zane was a good friend, before and after I learned he was gay.
He's a total bastard for doing what he did and I'm still pretty pissed off at him, but he was a good friend despite this.

We learned a lot of things through our journey together, and I'm not in anyway a believer of the "things happen for a reason" bullshit, but I do think we were paired at such a young age for a purpose.

A year after Zane's death, I learned that my own brother was gay.
My brother was still my brother, the only thing that this knowledge changed for me was add a new sense of fear.

I worry so much about him. This world, specifically this state, is supremely unjust when it comes to the LGBT community.
I worry that his life will be harder. I worry about the things he'll have to deal with that I never will. I'm scared for his safety.

The reason I'm sharing these things is that I went Saturday to Salt Lake to listen to Judy Shepard speak. She is Matthew Shepard's mother.
Matthew was brutally beaten and left for dead tied to a fence post in Laramie, Wyoming in 1998.
His murderers testified that they attacked him because he was gay.
Judy now speaks out in hopes of passing hate-crime legislation and working toward general acceptance of the LGBT community, not just tolerance.

There were several wonderful things she said, including that those in the LGBT community and their allies need to share their stories and let their voices be heard. She said that stereotypes live on when no one speaks out to change them.

As I said in a previous blog, "when there's love, who loses?"
The fact that so many people get so riled up over "the gays" simply turns my stomach and brings me to tears. They're people, just like everyone else. People who contribute to society, have jobs, pay taxes, have families, white picket fences and love. Yes. They love.
What a terrible crime against society.


I didn't lose a son like Judy Shepard did, but I certainly have had experiences in my life that have made me want to vocalize my feelings in support of a minority who needs and deserves it.

To my gay friends and family members- I love you very much. Never stop being who you are. Never forget that there are people out there who have your back.


8 comments:

Brein said...

It makes me sad that our society can be so cruel. No one should ever fear being who they are. I think one of the best things we can teach our kids is tolerance. I'm sorry you lost such a great friend. It's heart breaking how our differences can stir up so much hate in other people. I hope that our country takes notice of what is happening to it's own people and we can make changes for the better.

LifeAsABox said...

Thanks for the love, cos. I don't know why, but fear, ignorance, and hate are so much easier than love.

Judy Kaunisto said...

I do not like it when you lump all conservatives together. I am a conservative, and had a VERY DEAR friend of mine die of AIDS. I could care less as to what anyone does. Live YOUR life! And, that you could have a brother, who had to TELL you he is gay, makes me wonder, who has the blinders on? I am sick and tired of people pointing fingers at me. STOP IT!!!

erin said...

Well Judy, since I have no idea who you even are, I'd say it would be pretty hard to point my finger at you.

The message of this particular blog was to spread understanding, compassion and acceptance, not to fight with a self-proclaimed conservative that appears to have an identity crisis.

Nowhere in this blog did I "lump" any group together, nor point fingers towards anyone except individuals who have negativity towards homosexuals.

However, it would be laughable to deny that the conservative base has an agenda against gays.

Thank you for your voice to stand out against a conservative belief, but you probably could have done it with a little more grace. Next time you feel the need to blast someone, do it to someone you actually know.

Hillary said...

I had no idea how Zane had died. Just saw on the reunion site that he had passed away. So sad, that people can't be more accepting. I don't understand why there is such a large issue. It doesn't affect you, then why are you bothered? I hope that one day they will get the same rights as everybody else, because they are no different.

The fact that you are there, and support your brother is the best thing you can do. Quit pointing fingers...haha kidding!

Valerie L. Bond said...

I liked your post. Last year was really tough in California when Prop. 8 was being voted on. My daughter has a friend whose parents are lesbians and during that time they thought I did not like them because I was going to the LDS church. I feel sad that they have to feel that way. It's funny because I felt like an outsider out here for growing up LDS. I guess it would be hard out there in Utah. Now I know two people, friends and family who are gay and I still like them as the people they are. I can't judge them on what they do in the bedroom. That would be wrong of me. And it is sad that so many conservative politicians are caught having affairs or sleeping with prostitutes! I have realized that even though I don't understand it, they can love another human being. I think the most important thing is to stay healthy and safe and have a healthy relationship. Most straight people can not even say that.

Madi said...

Amen sister! People need to chill out and take a look at themselves. Breaks my heart that anyone should have to fear for their safety for any reason whatsoever. No one deserves to have been beaten and killed like Matthew. I don't understand how the way he chose to live his life effected those assholes. And Judy, chill out!

erin said...

Thanks Madi :)